~ PROLOGUE ~ HOW I MET THE CLIMATE ~ THE MEANING OF SCIENCE ~ THE STATE OF THE CLIMATE ~ BEGINNING
ONE CHANCE ~ TRIBES ~ SENTIENCE ~
~ AGONY ~ LETTER TO PRESIDENT REIF OF MIT
WHO IS AT FAULT ~ CRITIQUE OF THE NEW YORK TIMES ~
WORLD CLIMATE AUTHORITY ~ A BIT OF BIO ~ APOLLO 8 ~ EPILOGUE
Getting Our Act Together
"The World Climate Authority" ~ "The World Fox & Hound Authority."
There are so many issues that impact or are impacted by climate change that it boggles the mind, and then boggles it again. (Boggled boggles are a new concept in human evolution and ethics, that I am proposing the establishment of a new research university....)
(It is quite clear that a year and 7 months of more or less time and a half just reading, mulling and writing have taken their toll. And that's seven days per week and almost no one wants to talk to me: I either frighten them or bore the hell out of them. But onward.)
This feels to me like a mid-term exame for humanity. For those that have taught and counciled and advised the expectations are not high.
To list all the isues I think this Mac Pro (not the lap top; $4,000 enlarged coffee can) would run out of ink. So let's simplify:
1. Where are we?
2. How did we get here?
3. How do we get out without wrecking the place and ourselves?
A few obvious causes come to mind. Not paying attention. Not realizing what we have. Greed. Not realizing we could have much more. Not realizing there is no turning back, and there may at some point no longer an opportunity to go forward which could be a description of many different problems, only this is one of those that is really for keeps. And just to make life a touch more interesting, fate gives us a diety/crown prince/aspiring hier to the throne/never passed an English course personage in the most powerful office in the world.
It would be far less of a problem if he were a little slow, needed some remedial tutoring, and so forth. But one does not remedy nasty and evil chaos.
If this were the right play write, we would get a good chuckle and go home. As it is I often feel like crying and don't know what to do except read and write. But my computer is out of ink.
Climate III ~ Establishing Control
An Independent World Climate Authority
A Bipartisan Congress
In the Absence of a Functional US Government,
The European Union Should Assume Responsibility
1. The United States must elect a president and Congress that understand the enormity and urgency of the threat to the climate we depend on.
2. Because of its resources the United States should lead the effort against the climate, something akin to the Manhattan Project and Apollo program combined.
3. The Climate Authority must combine the best scientists, engineers and managers and the participation of all important world leaders.
4. As was the case with Manhatten and Apollo, no effort or expense or utilization of personnel was spared.
5. Priorities should be established along with short and long term plans.
1) Maximum effort to stop emissions with fair and just support to smaller countries.
2) A research effort to analyze the advantage of ultra-safe nuclear power generation.
3) A research effort to analyze the potential for implementation of negative emissions, with the goal of returning the earth to a CO2 level of 350 ppm.
4) Development of multi-lingual public education effort, including a social media campaign that is updated regularly, and perhaps a printed quality educational piece mailed to each household regularly. These should be dramatic, clear, easily understood and truthful.
5. Pray in whatever religion you believe or to the creation itself. This is the leadership challenge of all human history.