~ PROLOGUE ~ HOW I MET THE CLIMATE ~ THE MEANING OF SCIENCE ~ THE STATE OF THE CLIMATE ~ BEGINNING
ONE CHANCE ~ TRIBES ~ SENTIENCE ~
~ AGONY ~ LETTER TO PRESIDENT REIF OF MIT
WHO IS AT FAULT ~ CRITIQUE OF THE NEW YORK TIMES ~
WORLD CLIMATE AUTHORITY ~ A BIT OF BIO ~ APOLLO 8 ~ EPILOGUE
The Search for a Bottom Line
click blue links below to access other sections
If we melt enough tundra so that it gives off enough methane so that enough sunlight gets through to keep warming the earth even with zero emissions then we are screwed. Eventually all the ice melts, coastal cities flood, etc. Chaos reins.
We don’t know if we have reached that point yet. With 90°F north of the arctic circle a couple of years ago plus all sorts of overheating (not to mention Australia), we have NO CHOICE BUT TO DECLARE WAR ON CARBON.
Just like Pearl Harbor combined with going to ther moon.
Do I know this will work? What I know is that if we are luckly this has the best chance of keeping for us the earth we love.
Right now we are doing our best to kill the earth and no one has a master plan to fix this.
So it will be up to the next American President to play the parts of Winston Churchill, John Kennedy and Franklin Roosevelt and do the declaration of war.
There are three possible outcomes:
1. We spend a lot of money (and so have a roring economy) but it doesn’t help. Result is lousy hot prosperous world.
2. Pretty good results, a little late but quite a bit better than now and holding its own.
3. We get lucky. The tripping point was later than we thought and we worked harder than anyone thought possible.
links to other sections
I. A Planet On The Brink
IV. How Bad Is The Climate
II. How Bad Is Our Free Market
III. How Bad Is The Land
IV. How Bad Is Our Thinking
IV. How Bad Is Our Courage
III. Our Comprehension of Science
IV. Shining Light On The Subject
V. Shining Light On The Subjects
VII. Human Nature
VIII. Teaching: Modifying Evolution
IX. Creation, Creator, Humanity, Morality
X. The Planetary Task List
An overcrowded planet
A business community with utter disregard as to what they do
1. Strip Mining
2. Open Pit Mining
3. Tailings left everywhere
4. Stream Pollution without qualms
5. Now Ocean Bottom Devestation
8. No regard for areas affect
9. No regard for runoffs<
10. No regard for anything
11. No regard for pollution
12. No regard for driking water even with lead
13. No regard for cyanamid poison and other poisens
14. No regard for total forest destruction: Amazon, Australia
15. And More
16. A popolace where only a small percentage are conscious of this happening and try to
do something about it
17. Business (mostly conservative) demean “tree huggers”
18. No regard for health, education or welfare of workers
19. No regard for how many jobs an individual must work to support a family
20. No regard for health care
21. Prosperty motivating churches
22. Descrimination at will for any reason
23. No comprehension that we are “all of the same tribe genetically”
24. Willing to forget anything for profit
25. Forget carbon, knowing it is a problem 26. Forget the earth
27. Forget anyone who doesn’t belong to the tribe
28. “Shareholder Value” is god.
29. No comprehension of the concept of “reciprocity”
30. No comprehension of the “beauty of the earth”
31. Completely oblivious to the state of the earth
32. Completely obliviouc to the glories of fine art
33. Population oblivious to the glories of the earth.
The Earth, Humanity, and Truth.
Trying To Put the Pieces Together
This is a two year struggle. To explain to those who cannot or do not want to understand what is happening.
There is a mystery at the heart of all of this that ravages the planet, steals from the many to give to a few, that in the face of sublime beauty brings fleets of bull dozers and lets them ravage.
That to a bubbly brook that feeds the river crystal water, pours poisen into the river that destroys childrens minds.
Somne closes the minds and hearts of the destroyers. I call it, for want of a better term, “Shareholder Value.” An enterprise to deliver a service or product and whose operators don’t give a tinkers damn about consequences to anyone or anything but themselves.
Unless they are confronted by a melitia backed by laws and regulations they spit on the planet, spew gasses into the air, scrape the earth, decimate forests, and allow nothing to get in their way but the militia.
Why is one subject.
Stop is the secocnd.
Repair if at all possible is the third for our atmosphere is now such that by our best judgmenmt, life will eventualluy not be sustainable on this planet.
We have caused this warming climate and we are desperate to stop the warming. And more.
I Try to explain here what needs explaining, although the search requiers probing human naturehas never been probedd before, and all will laught that an engineer is trying to find the soul, where all manner of students of humanity have failed. I will chuckle with you, but will try.